Saturday, May 11, 2013

Retired.

Okay- so maybe the title was a little dramatic. But you have come to my blog, so dramatic is what you will receive! 
(Warning- emotional talk ahead!) 
I am not sure if I will be able to put my feelings into words, but here's to trying.

This weekend marked my last weekend of playing softball. 
(For those of you that say I can play slow pitch- that doesn't help and I don't want to.)

It has been an emotional roller coaster, these past 15 years. A roller coaster that I would ride over and over again if I had the chance. 


This poem describes it perfectly. Softball is a huge gift and blessing from God. He has definitely shown me talent I never thought I had in me. He has shown me success and plenty of failure. He has used softball to develop my character and help me grow as a person. He has given me everlasting friends. Friends that I never would have found without this game.
Softball has been my passion and my love for the past 15 years and it will never go away. People say it's time to move on and it has been a blessing. And they're right. It has been, but I will never be able to move on from this sport. The love I have for it is immense and it won't go away and it won't fade. I know that from talking with previous teammates. The love stays the same, and that is something that makes my heart so happy. I know I will never lace up my cleats, slip that glove on my hand, and slide into second base again. and that breaks my heart. but knowing I can teach girls what this game is all about makes me smile. I want girls to know that this sport is a game of failure. and it will let you down a million times over. I want them to know you won't remember your batting average, your strikeouts, or your errors. You won't remember the number of hits you had, how many girls you threw out, or what your record was each season.
What you will remember is the feeling you get when you run onto the field. You'll remember when your cleat hits the grass and you look into a sky full of clouds. You will remember the tears and laughter with your teammates who become family. You will remember the long bus trips and the everlasting memories. These are the things I will miss. I will miss more than anything being a part of a team. Feeling so close to a group or girls and relying on them and loving them through thick and thin. I won't find anything else like it. This sport will give you memories you will never forget, with friends that will always have a place in your heart. 

I can no longer say I play softball for Drake University. But what I can say is I played for Drake University and that is so damn cool. I am leaving this program with my head held high and my heart completely full. I am beyond blessed with my opportunities and blessings that have come my way. I have had my fair share of hardships, but I know they were a part of His plan and it all ends up well. I am so thankful for the friendships I have made and the experiences I have shared with the girls. 
So thank you softball, for all you have taught me. 
This isn't a bye, but a see you soon.  


--Whats next? Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment