Thursday, February 18, 2016

Birth Story

--Sienna June's Story--

January 21st (35 weeks 6 days):
We went in for our routine 36 week ultrasound. As soon as the ultrasound wand hit my tummy our doctor immediately said, "that little stinker is breech." I had thought Sienna was breech early on in pregnancy and the doctor thought so too, but as time went on I had really thought she flipped. This hit me like a ton of bricks. I was so sad to know the possibility of going through labor and delivery how I had expected was so low. When I look back I am so thankful I had time to think about a c section birth and what that would look like. I had questions written out and am so glad that I had time to 'prepare' for a c section.

January 26th (36 weeks 4 days):
We went to the hospital for a growth scan ultrasound. They wanted to check how big she was, fluid levels, and cord placement before deciding if they were going to try a ECV and attempt to manually flip her. The ultrasound tech at the appointment let us know that her head was measuring 39 weeks, 6 days and her estimated weight was 7lbs 12oz. We were in shock, she was HUGE and we still had three weeks left. We found out that fluid looked a little low, but the cord was not around her neck. We were going to follow up with our doctor Wednesday afternoon in the hopes that we could attempt an ECV on Thursday. It could only be done on Thursdays because it was an inpatient procedure at the hospital.

January 27th (36 weeks 5 days):
We left school to head to our follow up appointment around 3:30. I got a call on the way there that our doctor had been called into emergency c section and therefore our appointment would be cancelled for the day. Tears. so many tears. I had to see our doctor to know if we were going to try an ECV the next day. That was not something I wanted to head into blind. They said there was nothing they could do, but I could come in at 9:30 the next morning. I was so upset with all the unknowns. Conrad and I got McDonals and I had a fish filet and mcnuggets, which should show how upset I was haha. I ate both meals and went to sleep from 5-7. Looking back at our last night together before Sienna came makes me laugh so hard. If I would have known she was coming the next day I would have done a few things differently.

January 28th (36 weeks 6 days): BABY GIRL'S BIRTHDAY
I never want to forget one moment about this incredible day.
Conrad had not missed an appointment yet, but since his sick days are limited we decided he would go to school since it was just a follow up with our doctor and I would keep him updated. If they weren't going to attempt an ECV I would just come back to school for the last half of the day.  I dropped him off at school and went inside planning on making a few copies before the day started to keep my mind busy- which didn't happen because I work with the best people in the world and I spent all morning talking to various co workers and friends about our appointment and how we were feeling. Conrad was going around telling everyone that today was the day, he just felt it. Which is so Conrad, and I should know by now to start trusting him when he says such things. The morning was chaotic, my substitute was late and I ended up taking my students down to my classroom to get the morning started, which I am so so thankful for because I got to see them and spend a few minutes with them before I went to my appointment, and started my maternity leave.

I went into my appointment and our doctor measured the fluid and said it was low and told me an ECV would not be successful and we can't try with the fluids being that low. I knew I was going to have a c section, and at this point had coped with it and prepared as best I could for it, but ultimately God provided me so much peace about having a c section. She asked if I had any questions as she sat down, and I should've known right then that something was weird, because my normally funny doctor because serious. I started asking questions about a gentle c section and what our plans would look like, and a few questions in I asked if they only do c sections on certain days at the hospital. She responded: "Well for you... today or tomorrow." I burst into laughter, until I saw her face and realized she was extremely serious. "In fact, finish up with your questions because we need to get you over to the hospital to start being monitored."
Around 10AM I called Conrad to tell him I was heading to the hospital to start being monitored, but that he didn't need to come because this could mean nothing and I would keep him updated. I called our parents and told them the same. Walking into the OB floor I saw a sweet baby in the nursery and immediately got so excited that we could be meeting our sweet girl today!!! I was trying not to get my hopes up, but yet so ready to meet our baby.
Around 11:30 I was on FaceTime with my best friend Emo when my nurse walked in with a bunch of supplies smiling from ear to ear. I asked what was going on and she said "something is happening at 3 today"  I looked at Emo and we both burst into tears. I was still alone at this point and it was so special that I got to share that moment with my best friend. She said "Honey, you're going to be a mommy today!!" I hung up and called Conrad and told him the plan. His response was "Should I come up around 2:45 then?" Oh Conrad... I maybe not so nicely told him to get his butt to the hospital right away.
I am so thankful for our sweet nurse who told us early of the plan. My parents were able to leave right away and I got to see them before walking back into surgery, and I am so thankful for those calming hugs before we became parents.

Conrad and I got a few hours just us two in the room before surgery where we got to pray and listen to some music and just relax. I can honestly say God was totally at work during this time, I was so calm and so ready to meet our baby girl We called and texted a few of our friends to let them know that it was happening today!

It was finally time to meet our sweet Sienna.
At 3pm on January 28th I walked into the room where I received my spinal. It was such a small slight pain and my left foot got a warm sensation and before I knew it I was flipped over on the table being prepped for surgery. Conrad was still outside waiting, and I remember asking three times when he could come in. One of the doctors kept poking me and discussing with me what was happening until I became numb almost all over. Finally they let Conrad in the room at around 3:20.

At 3:29, Sienna June Schottel made her appearance into this world. We had a clear drape so we were both able to see her being pulled out. She was pooping and peeing all over the place and we were cracking up. She had a head full of hair and was screaming so loud. They took her to the corner of the room to check her vitals and make sure she was stable and then immediately brought her over to us. I first held her at 3:33. It was so surreal, our baby was here! They weighed her and we saw 8lbs 4oz and it made us laugh so hard. She was such a big girl and 3 weeks early! We got to have skin on skin right there in the room and as they wheeled us to our room for recovery. We were in our room by 4pm, and at that point we asked them to take Sienna to get a bath in the nursery, and Conrad went out to tell my parents that we were both doing great.

They never had to take her to the nursery or away from us until we asked them to, we were able to get skin on skin right away, Conrad never had to leave my side, and we were able to see her enter the world. I couldn't have pictured a better 'gentle c section'.

No comments:

Post a Comment